US Relay Champs Rules
The US Relay Championships are governed by
U.S. Orienteering Rules of Competition, section L
as clarified by the following event-specific rules:
Points values for team composition
Team points are determined by summing the points for each team member as follows:
- Ages 21-34 (age on 12/31/2011): 0 points
- Ages 17-20 or 35-49: 1 point
- Ages 15-16 or 50-59: 2 points
- Ages 8-14 or over 59: 3 points
- Female: 2 additional points
Each team will be entered in one of the following classes. Teams may opt to "run up" and enter a class
allowing lower total points. Legs are run in the order given.
- 4-point: Team total of at least 4 points. Sanctioned Championship Class. Legs: Orange, Green,
- 8-point: Team total of at least 8 points. Sanctioned Championship Class. Legs: Orange, Orange,
- 12-point: Team total of at least 12 points. Sanctioned Championship Class. Legs: Yellow,
Orange, Brown, Green.
- Open: No points requirements. Sanctioned non-Championship Class. Legs: Orange, Green,
- White/Yellow: No points requirements. Sanctioned non-Championship Class. Legs: White,
- Solo: No points requirements. Sanctioned non-Championship Class. Leg: Red.
Legs will be forked between Brown, Green, Red, and Blue.
Never mind; sanctioning denied the rules variance for mispunches. You mess up, your team is out. CHECK CONTROL CODES!
All teams (including Solo) except White/Yellow will be mass started together. At the conclusion of each
leg, the finishing runner will, in order, punch the finish control, discard their current map, run to their next
runner (who should be waiting in the exchange area next to their map) and tag them. The next runner may then
pick up their map and proceed on their course.